[mdlug] Advice

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sat Jun 30 13:29:57 EDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-06-30 at 10:33 -0400, Jeff Hanson wrote:
> I've had drives mounted that when unexpectedly (uncleanly)
> disconnected the kernel (or udev) kept the device node assigned and
> wouldn't drop it.  It also wouldn't use anything else if the drive was
> reconnected.
> The only non-typical flash drive structure I've encountered is the
> SanDisk U3 system which is designed to emulate a CD and integrate into
> the Windows registry, a feature possibly inspired by malware, along
> with some security/DRM functions.  There is a utility for
> removing/unlocking it called "u3-tool".  I think it's in the Ubuntu
> repos.

It it in the openSUSE repos as well;  I've used it several times.

U3 thumb drives are the only 'magick partition' setups I've seen that dd
or fdisk couldn't take care of.

I've had SD cards go unreadable before.  But a "dd if=/dev/zero
of=/dev/ds? bs=512" followed by a repartitioning has always fixed them.
I've no idea what actually happens.  And those repaired card have
continued to work afterwards for years.