[mdlug] Password of DEATH

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Jun 5 11:56:32 EDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-05 at 01:21 -0400, Garry Stahl wrote:
> OK, the gob'ment has sezied yoir laptop and is holding you hostage for
> the password.  Now you don't have anthung on there really.  (I don't)
> Nothing critical or irreplacalbe, but dammit, it's none of their business.
> Suggestion, a second password that if entered goes nuclear on the hard
> drive deleting the thing wholesale without further action.  Better yet
> it boots to a croot jail screen while deleting eveything in the Home
> partition (You do have a separate home partition, right)
> Is this doable with ah average Linux distro?

Yes, trivially.

And it would probably be prosecuted as obstruction of justice;  the
concept of spoilation almost certainly applies.

In short - THIS WOULD BE A VERY *VERY* **STUPID** THING TO DO.

And your wrong: if the computer was seized by a court order everything
on it is entirely "their business".  That's what the lay says and what a
court order means.  All information determined not to be related to the
investigation will return to a protected status.