[mdlug] Password of DEATH

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 08:13:10 EDT 2012

Garry Stahl wrote:
> OK, the gob'ment has sezied yoir laptop and is holding you hostage for
> the password.  Now you don't have anthung on there really.  (I don't)
> Nothing critical or irreplacalbe, but dammit, it's none of their business.
>
> Suggestion, a second password that if entered goes nuclear on the hard
> drive deleting the thing wholesale without further action.  Better yet
> it boots to a croot jail screen while deleting eveything in the Home
> partition (You do have a separate home partition, right)
>
> Is this doable with ah average Linux distro?

The better solution is steganography.

There is standard encryption, in which files exist which are obviously
encrypted.

Steganography is the field of creating encrypted information
in such a way that it doesn't even appear to exist.

However, if there is nothing to protect, reveal the password,
and let them see that there's nothing worth bothering with,
otherwise, you will be charged with destruction of evidence.