[mdlug] Steam on Linux

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Tue Dec 11 08:38:43 EST 2012

> From: Paul

> 	The true fix, is that Valve or $SOMEONE implement the
> functionality in Mesa, or the program vender doesnt make it bail if
> the check fails and the game can still play.

 Adam isn't using the latest beta video drivers from AMD/ATI, and thus the extension isn't available. Another possible fix is to update to a newer version of the drivers. That does entail some risk, of course - I hesitated to switch to the latest experimental Nvidia drivers - but going forward such measures won't be necessary.

> 	The abliity to override and wrap any external function call by
> any program in this fashion, using the linker-loader is pretty cool
> though.

 Indeed. Note that this can be used maliciously, too, in the wrong hands, to make a legitimate program misbehave.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                            (313) 227-2317

 Secretary of State Colin L. Powell on Sunday blamed mistakes in data
  collection, not political considerations, for a "very embarrassing"
  State Department report that said terrorist attacks worldwide had
    decreased in 2003 when, in fact, they had risen significantly.
                 - L. A. Times, June 14th 2004