[mdlug] PXE Environment Question

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 14:58:03 EST 2012

On the Linux side there is SYSLINUX/PXELINUX or iPXE (fork of gPXE).  I've
used the former but not the latter.  They both have boot options but I
haven't used them.  Normally the booting server is identified via DHCP when
booting from a BIOS or NIC boot ROM.  The DHCP server could be configured
to send different parameters based on MAC address.

Another option is a custom BIOS (coreboot?), NIC ROM, or netboot file image
which could give you more control.  Normally I would suggest using
Rom-O-Matic for a disk image but that server seems to have disappeared
after iPXE forked from gPXE.

For Ubuntu Linux deployments I use a Kickstart script.  For Windows
deployments I've only used Unattended ( http://unattended.sourceforge.net )
but only once for a Win2K test system.