[mdlug] PXE Environment Question

Wojtak, Greg (Superfly) GregWojtak at quickenloans.com
Fri Dec 7 13:55:57 EST 2012

I'm in an environment where we do PXE provisioning for Windows, Unix (Solaris and Linux), and Mac machines.  Each of these uses different PXE environment providers.  I don't know what the Windows and Mac guys are using, but a Linux server using the pxelinux package serves up the images for Solaris and Linux.  It's really awkward for each of our teams to provision servers as we have to provision them in one subnet with a temporary IP address and netmask before putting them in the correct VLAN and setting the appropriate networking configuration.  This also hampers our ability to automate much of the post installation process.

My question is, does anyone know if there is a way to configure pxelinux to display an option on the PXE menu that sends the client being provisioned to a different pxe server?  A message something like, "Hey, I got your PXE request, but try this one instead?"

I might play around with trying to just use a different tftp server, but I'm not positive that will work with the product the Windows servers are provisioned with (I'm not even sure what they use anymore).

Greg Wojtak
Sr. Unix Systems Engineer
Office: (313) 373-4306
Cell: (734) 718-8472