[mdlug] Quotas. How do they work?

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 14:15:56 EDT 2011

Robert Adkins II wrote:
> I am seeking to force certain users into trimming back the size of their
> email stored on the IMAP server. Much of the data itself doesn't need to be
> stored in email long term, as it is replicated elsewhere on the network.
>
> The problem is, if I just toss in a quota I am concerned that there will be
> no warning, just suddenly they will be unable to send/receive email. Nothing
> I am seeing the in the tools for enabling quotas suggests that the users
> will receive any form of warning.
>
> Is this true?

To answer your question, they work well.

When I was in college, we undergrads had a 500k soft limit,
and a 1M hard limit.  Whenever I would hit my hard limit,
then I started looking for stuff to get rid of (such as
duplicate files).  It also taught me to start using
symbolic links.

Business email system are rife with documents being sent
in e-mail from person to person, with each revision
showing up multiple times, because most users REFUSE
to just put the document in some shared-access directory,
and just mail a reference to it.

Most likely because in Windows, "shortcuts" are so
utterly screwed up and unsuitable for such purposes.