[mdlug] ubuntu server 10.10 to 11.04 strange text video error

Michael Rudas audiotech50 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 23:29:51 EDT 2011

--- Otakurider wrote:

>> Got a strange after upgrade video issue.
>> Short and sweet.  Was running ubuntu server 10.10, upgraded to 11.04
>> server using(sudo do-release-upgrade).  After upgrade the video (monitor
>> plugged into video card directly) now only displays a white screen with
>> strange black < ({{({.. type letters only.

> nope no X installed, straight server text only.

I'm seeing something similar with the latest, 11.04-based Clonezilla
(which also does not launch the X server) on some hardware.  Doing a
[Ctrl]+[C] gets text back (without clearing the screen)--but I'm not
sure why.  It seems like the same issue.  It looks to me like the
video display is pointing at the wrong video page until the [Ctrl]+[C]
is invoked; it may be an "ncurses" issue.

~~ Michael Rudas
   My home page: http://MRudas.2Ya.com
   My Linux blog: Linux-SIG.blogspot.com