[mdlug] Marketing Linux

David Lane dcl400m at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 13:35:32 EST 2011

> Context? Promote it for *what*?

Good question.

* Goal: Wider Use and adaptation

1. If I were Marketing Linux, I would show Small business owners How much money
they could save.

2. I would also push for Quick Books (Pro) to be moved to Linux.

3. Make March Linux Learning Month and Advertise in the super bowl

Note: There are a lot of techs out there that know that Linux is a great OS but
Their boss wont allow Linux.

Or the boss that wants to but cant seem to feel good about making such a big
change.

WE know Linux is great, but we are willing to learn things that people  take for
granted, I hate to use the word "Support"

because as IT professions we are tasked to learn many technologies many times on
our own. and many take the path of least resistance.
But that is what I'm hearing from Managers, they have to develop a support
strategy with limitations of cost.

The art of sales is overcoming the objections that your market may have in
buying your product.

I puzzles me that Linux has not been adapted on a larger scale.  but when you
look at Linux users and Admin's  They have a deeper

Technical knowledge base and skills. See I care about Application performance
and response time Windows puts so much junk

in the environment that it slows the through put.

Anyway Linux faces an up hill battle, that is Perception.  Microsoft has been
successful at making the general public think that Windows is better.

I do not agree  ...

David C. Lane