[mdlug] Linux push an economic phenomenon?

Dan Pritts danno at umich.edu
Mon Jan 24 10:43:46 EST 2011

In my experience even the previous version was decent when it came to cross-compatibility with windows.

There were certainly features it didn't provide, and it was sluggish and bloated, but formatting was reasonable when things were modified on one, and sent back to the other, etc etc.  That was always where I ran into problems with openoffice back in my desktop linux days.

sluggish and bloated seems to apply to openoffice too, actually.

Anyway, I ended up using "win4lin" so i could run office under windows 98 (!) in some sort of emulation mode the software provided.  It wasn't a full VM system like vmware, but it was lighter-weight.

It made me feel dirty.