[mdlug] Linux push an economic phenomanon?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at opengroupware.us
Thu Jan 20 09:46:20 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 05:30 -0800, Art Dries wrote:
> I'm trying 2 reason out how this grassroots effort is considered
> mainstream now. Could it be that a slow economy,

No, it was already mainstream well before the "great recession".  VMware
is LINUX, so is/was TiVo, etc...  Basically every flat-screen TV is
running LINUX.  Apache has had the majority of the web-server market for
a *long* time, pre-2000, let along pre-recession.

> increasing cost of propriatary software, and an abundance of cheap
> hardware made it an obvious choice? Or is there a less cynical reason?

It works, which is an obvious reason.