[mdlug] Free phone calls

Stuart Munro smunro622 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 15:05:30 EST 2011

for home i used sip from Voipo.com signed up for 2 yrs and its $7.50 all
prepaid backed by host gator. They give you a linksys pap adapter, to use I
have not tried asterisk with it. I do know viatlk has the option to use
asterisk, and you can use sip clients form any wheres as i did this before
switching to voipo.

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Mark Thuemmel <ldaphelp at thuemmel.com> wrote:

> It seems like you're asking for free phone calls to landlines but saying
> you don't like using a phone line?
>
> Are you asking how to receive or to make calls?
>
> Using a cell phone, landline, or Internet?
>
> I'd expect a 180 minute limit on Google,  Most of the free ones have
> shorter limits than that.
>
> What are the specs on the digital delivery phone requirements?  Did you
> ask them about Skype or SIP?
>
> Do you have a headset with mic that works?
>

> On 02/05/2011 10:22 AM, Carl T. Miller wrote:
> > I'm taking a remote class next week, and everything is
> > being delivered digitally.  The streaming video, the
> > textbooks, the lab book, the virtual classroom and the
> > virtual lab.  Well, everything but the voice content.
> > I've been told that I need to be on the phone for 42.5
> > hours next week.
> >
> > Ouch, for several reasons.  I won't be able to recieve
> > incoming calls.  That would eat up over 500 minutes.
> > I don't like the idea of using a phone line for an
> > online class.
> >
> > Believe it or not, it looks like Google is the answer.
> > I've set up and tested the gmail phone plugin.  It
> > works on LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) and I plan
> > to use it for the class.  I just hope they don't mind
> > 8.5 hour phone calls.
> >
> > Has anyone else used this?  Any feedback?  Or are there
> > other ways to get free phone calls to landlines?

A "No" uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a "Yes"
merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble.
-- Mahatma Gandhi