[mdlug] Email Problem

Robert Jim Fulner fulner at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 14:20:34 EST 2011

OK,

So this isn't directly a GNU/Linux question, but installing a distribution
of GNU/Linux meant for old hardware may be my friend's only solution.

I have a friend of mine who uses only his AT&T email account. (I tried to
get him to switch a while back, but you know how some folks get attached to
their email address). Even though he pays AT&T for his Internet connection,
he hasn't been able to check his email at home for a long time. He has
always used the AT&T Yahoo! webmail interface to to check his email He has
an old machine that is still running Windows 98. A while back the web
interface stopped working due to the hardware/software limitations (I get
the same thing when I try to check my AT&T yahoo account on my OLPC XO
machine). As such for the last year or more he's being going to the library
twice a week to check his email.

Well that's bad enough, but now when he sends email from his AT&T Account
it shows a different name as the sender and a reply to address that I don't
recognize.

I always make sure I reply using his @att.net email address, and he seems
to get those without any difficulty, but I've always wondered what others
get. (Every time I try to mention it he says "well its good enough").

But just to see I went a head and sent him an email from another account of
mine, a "gmail Business account" to the Reply to address so that I could
see if he actually gets it including a requested read receipt .

When I sent the message from my business account, I got the below message
(identically to the one I sent) in my regular Gmail account. Granted it had
the pd3830 label on it, making me think it was actually sent to that
account (i have my Gmail set to important those messages via POP) but when
I log into the pd3830 gmail web interface this message is not show in in
the INBOX while all of the others I have received in my gmail are.

I'm not even sure what is going on here. If the Reply-to message included
is somehow forwarding to the original email address that message was sent
to, or what's going on. I'm so lost I'm not even sure what to google for. I
tried specifically looking for the name and the reply-to address on his
email to me to see if someone had had this exact problem without much luck
in my search.

Any insight anyone can give as to why this would happen, what is happenign,
or what the solution is (right now I'm leanign towards installing DSL or
Wary Puppy on his old machine and setting up their email client to check
his AT&T mail, but weitehr I can convience him to try such is debatable,
and I'm not sure that would even fix it, if its a problem with the AT&T
server. (When he has called AT&T  about other email problems (like the fact
that previously it was added a signature to "Please send your email and
password to address something at something.com" they just told him that
Windows 98 is no longer supporter and go pleasure one's self).

--
Jim Fulner
The DetroitLibertyPenguin