[mdlug] Time to build a new server

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Thu Aug 18 09:56:08 EDT 2011

Robert Adkins II wrote:
>   I can't imagine why I would need that much power and memory on the
> server
> at this time. We do not experience any issues with fileserver performance
> and there are, at times, some pretty decently sized CAD files, accounting
> and other application files being hit simultaneously by upwards of 5 to 7
> users.

I always buy more than I need for servers.  The life of
a server could be 5 to 10 years, and who know what you
might want to do with the hardware 3 years from now?

Also, one advantage to getting a server with extra ram
and processing power is that you can install VirtualBox.
That gives you a lot of flexibility in your environment.
I'd suggest using VirtualBox and creating your fileserver
as a virtual machine, because that will give you the ability
to create snapshots (restore points) and it will make it
very easy to backup and restore the fileserver, even if
it needs to be restored to different hardware.