[mdlug] Ever increasing resolv.conf file

R KANNAN rk111810 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 22:43:48 EDT 2011

Hello,

I had some strange problems while booting my laptop on Suse 10.1 and I
found it kept hanging. When I tried to login as root, it will hang.

Checking 'top' I found that there were a number of 'sed' processes
hogging the system resources.

Then I ran 'fsck' on all the mounted systems (reiserfs and xfs) and
they came out negative for errors.

Then I found that the sizes of 'resolv.conf' and
'resolv.conf.saved.by.dhcpd.eth0' to be 700 MB each in length. SuSE
seems to be adding more and more comment lines of the form

#
### END INFO

to this file whenever I connect to the network and backing it up as
'resolv.conf.saved.by.dhcpd.eth0'. I wonder if this is the cause of
the hang ups.

I turned it off by setting  'MODIFY_RESOLV_CONF_DYNAMICALLY="no" in
/etc/sysconfig/network/config. This seemed to have resolved the problem.

Surprising I could not find this issue by googling.