[mdlug] openSUSE 11.2 and XFCE was Speedy Older Pentium 3 on openSUSE 11.1

Peter Bart petertheplumber at att.net
Sun Jan 17 13:55:34 EST 2010

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 13:17:36 -0500
"Carl T. Miller" <carl at carltm.com> wrote:

> Peter Bart wrote:
> > Hello Everyone,
> > 	FWIW I loaded openSUSE 11.2 and XFCE onto an older T30 P4
> > Thinkpad the other day. I was waiting for an urgent delivery, and
> > had time to kill. I accepted all the installation defaults, except
> > for "automatic configuration". It will suspend and shut down as
> > user. I like the minimalist interface, and of course it runs like
> > the Roadrunner.
>
> Cool.  So you're saying that version 11.2 runs even better than
> version 11.1 did on your hardware?  Or was if fast before, but now
> the shut down and suspend works for regular users?

I'm saying suspend and shutdown work for me now. I can't speak to
speed, the previous install went on an IBM T22. Which I think is a P1
or 2. This install went on a T30 P4. Also this time I went with the
default partitioning, not partitioning separate partitions myself. So I
can't really speak to any improvement, sorry. I can speak to the fact
it's extremely easy to setup. Of course it's very minimal, but
individual Gnome and KDE packages can be added. Such as Networkmanager,
etc.
--
Best Regards,

Peter The Plumber