[mdlug] Samba strangeness

David McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Sat Jan 2 15:52:42 EST 2010

	Two items here.

	I've set up my personal file server (Jaunty) with a shared drive
mounted locally as /archive1.  This drive is shared across the network
using Samba.  I can access it from Windows and Linux machines on the
network, but:

	1:  when trying to transfer large files, the connection just seems to
stall out -- progress stops entirely.  Yet, transferring a similar-sized
cluster of smaller files doesn't have the same problem.  Transfers *are*
slower than I'd expect, but they don't choke.  Anybody know the best way
to troubleshoot this kind of problem?  I've done lots of SMB shares
(Windows and Linux) in the past, but this is a new problem for me.

	2:  The really weird one.  Only some files show up to the SMB clients.
  It doesn't matter if the client is Windows or Linux, so the issue has
to be on the server end.  For example, the /archive1/images directory
contains a *lot* of files, and subdirs, but only a relative handful of
the "root" files show up to SMB clients, and none of the subdirs.  I've
checked the permissions on the files/subdirs that aren't showing up, and
they're the same as on the files that *are* showing up.  Even chmod'ing
all the files to 777 didn't change anything.  Aside from the file access
permissions, what else could block files/subdirs from showing up to an
SMB client?
	It's not just a browsing thing, either -- trying to cd directly to
subdirs that I *know* are there generates a "no such directory" error.