[mdlug] lightning talks?

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 23:59:45 EST 2010

Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> Robert Citek wrote:
>> I was browsing the YAPC::NA 2010 site (it's in Columbus, OH, June 21-23):
>>
>> http://conferences.mongueurs.net/yn2010/
>>
>> and noticed they have lightning talks again on the schedule.
>>
>> Has mdlug ever had lightning talks for one of its meetings?  If so,
>> when are the next lightning talks scheduled?  For more info on
>> lightning talks:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_Talk
>
> When I go to a conference, I want presentations which explain
> things deeply enough that I can get up and running with the
> new idea.
>
> The LAST thing I want at a conference is a bunch of 5-minute
> presentations which cannot possibly go into a subject any
> deeper than the typical article on arstechnica
>
> In other words, as far as I'm concerned, the "Lightning Talk"
> is a 25-cent word for a waste of the limited and valuable
> space at a conference.

Ooops, you were talking about meetings.  This being
Penguicon-planning season, and your original context
of conferences, I thought you were asking if we were
doing this at Penguicon.

A 5-10 minute presentation at a regular meeting is an ok
thing (I have NO idea why conference planners such as those
at YAPC::NA would include such things).