[mdlug] Open Office failures

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at opengroupware.us
Wed Feb 17 14:44:05 EST 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 11:08 -0800, David Lane wrote:
> I remembered that But I was not sure the one that asked nicely.
> Back to Open Office, when it runs into trouble are the JAVA resources an issue?

There is little point in blindly blaming any component.  You'd need to
use strace, lsof, fuser, and friends to try and narrow down the hung
component.

On the other hand recent versions of Open Office are very stable - so
the possibly exists that the problem isn't even Open Office but some
other component of your stack and the issue is merely manifesting in
Open Office.  OOo is a large and powerful application that pushes
underlying libraries and components pretty hard.

If you can repeat the hang run it under gdb and capture the stack.