[mdlug] a new place to meet

Dean Durant mdlug at wowway.com
Wed Feb 3 15:53:08 EST 2010

Hello, I have found a place that I think will be a good place to meet for at least as long as they are around.

It is the Phoenix Cafe, 24918 John R Rd Hazel Park, MI 48030.

First meeting will be Tuesday, Feb 9th, 7:00 until close, or whenever people want to leave. Close is at 11:00.

I have already spoken to the owner, Hans. There is technically no fee to meet there. However I would like to give Hans something, he needs help keeping the place open.   But I will arrange for the initial donation to Hans because I want people to come and check it out.

The Phoenix is a performing art space, with bands on Friday and Saturday nights.

There is wireless.   It's very quiet, almost dead on non-show nights.

Some may remember that I tried something like this before.   The location wasn't really great, and I don't think I realized people would be there.   But I was sick that night, which rarely happens, just a bad turn of events.

I expect to be at this place in 6 days, at 7:00.   In nicer weather I can bike there, it's about 1.5 miles from my house.   Even if I am sick, I'll be there.     Parking is in the back.    The location is basically 10 mile and John R.   So I-696 is just a very short walk, I-75 is not far, Woodward is about 1.5 miles away.

On the east side of John R, south of 696, there is a quick oil change place, then 10 mile.  Then a Thai restaurant, a sub shop, then this place.

I'd like to do an install fest, using this hybrid google chrome/Suse hybrid distro that I've found.   I installed it on a spare at work.   It's nice.  I guess it's mostly Suse.   I tried to compile Chrome OS on this same box, that was the goal, had some problems.

I have a home machine, well two home machines, I need help with grub to do a dual boot on the newer machine.    Or I have an older box, it's showing some ATA timeouts on the CDROM, I think it's the mobo.   Maybe a USB bootable copy of the iso would work.

Hans has some old monitors, giant old tanks, and other equipment but being as I am so close, I'll bring my home gear.

If I can get this going as a regular thing, it might be possible to help Hans keep it open, I don't know, I guess he has the means to fund it for a while, and they do cover all their expenses and then some on show nights.  If I could run a unix/linux/MacOS/ipv6 consultancy out of there during the day, that would be great, but of course I have a very dull day job, probably not too likely.   Hans is a Mac guy, and he has heard of Open Source.

 It's definitely a counter-cultural kind of place, the "Insane Palin Posse" may not like some of what they see but everyone is welcome.

If you think you would like to come, please email me privately, or reply to the list, people always seem to.   Replying to the list would tell other people who all might be there.

Hope to see folks, thanks, Dean