[mdlug] Open Source accounting software

Joe Doehler lugnuts at doehler.us
Tue Feb 2 00:44:13 EST 2010

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 22:47 -0500, David Lee Lambert wrote:
>> I have almost 3 years of records entered with GNUCash,
>
> +1.  I've been using GNUCash since Ximian had their red-carpet service
> (how long is that? Yikes.) It is a great application.

I tried GNUCash for a little while a few years ago, but it did not work
nearly as well for me as Quicken-for-Windows (QFW). In QFW, I enter the
info for checks to go out (payee, amount, date), and it's done. QFW
contacts the banks, who then does an EFT, or mails a printed check at
their expense at the right time. On my end, no paper check to write or
print, no stamp to buy. In this workflow, the check info is typed in
once, and only once. No web site to log on to to either send money out,
transfer, or download and import cleared transactions. Deposits, credit
card transactions details and check numbers show up without me having to
do anything. At reconciliation time, I just check if the bottom lines
between the mailed statements and QFW match, and it's done.

The price to pay is a regular upgrade, as the protocols for contacting
banks and credit card companies keep changing. It's worth it to me, in
stamp savings alone. Perhaps things have changed, but I do not know of
any open source software that can do all of this. I wish there were. If
there is, please let us know.

Joe.