[mdlug] Open Source accounting software

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 23:33:45 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Peter Bart <petertheplumber at att.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 21:59 -0600, Bob Dion wrote:
>> There's more to filling out a 1040 then adding and subtracting. It's
>> understanding tax law. and what if any credits and deductions you are
>> entitled to.
>
> And that's why I have someone do mine. For the same reason I have
> someone fix my car, my appliances, etc.

I lost track of where the topic changed, but my original question was
about accounting software not tax software.  One would use the
accounting software to help manage one's finances.  At the end of the
year, that software should also present the data to you in an
organized way for doing taxes, either for doing them yourself or for
having done by a tax professional.

To repost the last incarnation of the question: if a non-techie friend
was starting a small business and asked me what kind of accounting
software they should use under Linux, what should I recommend?

(yes, it's different from my original question, but closer to what I
meant to ask.)

Regards,
- Robert