[mdlug] Open Source accounting software

Richard Staff rstaff at sprynet.com
Mon Feb 1 18:19:28 EST 2010

Great subject/topic!!!
Many, many years ago I was using an accounting package for the Atari 800.
It was written in Atari Basic.
I was able to code modify it so it would do some things I wanted.
Then I had something for the Atari ST.
Then there was Quicken for Windows.
Then there was GnuCash for Linux.
I am now using KMyMoney.  It is a personal accounting program that is
KDE based.
I like using KMyMoney for my personal financial income and expense tracking.
I do NOT print checks.  I do NOT run a business with it.  I do NOT
create charts with it.
KMyMoney has a Quicken like flavor/behavior to it, but not Quicken's power.
I do print a report of account balances and a monthly expenses/income
report.
I would think that if you want a professional quality accounting system,
then you pay for it.
Dumb Question: Are there not Java based professional accounting systems
available?
Dumb Thought:  A Java based application is likely to be multi-platform,
Mac, Win, Linux.
Peace out, Rick
P.S.  I was using TurboTax for taxes, but switched to H&R Block TaxCut
the year TurboTax dropped Win 98.
###