[mdlug] Android Bluetooth Trouble Using In Car Volkwagen Handsfree Solved?

Peter Bart petertheplumber at att.net
Sun Dec 26 21:05:59 EST 2010

On Sat, 2010-12-25 at 21:01 -0500, Peter Bart wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
> 	I have a Samsung Galaxy S; aka Samsung Captivate SGH-I897; that I'm
> trying to get to work with a 2011 Volkswagen Tiguan's mobile phone
> package. The handset has firmware v2.1-update1. I can get the phone/car
> bluetooth to pair and set each as trusted. The phone basic information
> shows up in the drivers instrument cluster and the phone reports paired
> as well. But that's where it ends. I can't make or receive calls via the
> cars handsfree system. Incoming calls go to the handset. Attempting to
> call out with the cars call buttons results in an error message on the
> cars display. When I leave the car the phone becomes very sluggish to
> operate, sometimes stopping responding at all. When I can see the screen
> the bluetooth icon looks like it has white dots on either side of it. If
> I can catch it in time, disabling bluetooth brings the phone back into
> regular operation. If I don't, the only thing I can do is pop the
> battery out.
> 	I've looked around a little and here's what I know. Volkwagen uses both
> the Parrot and Volk-L bluetooth adapter. I do not yet know which I have.
> There seems to be a bit of a problem with some Android handsets
> connecting to some European made cars
> <http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4402&q=label%
> 3APriority-Medium&colspec=ID>. The same Samsung handset had full
> functionality with an Alpine CDE-103BT that used Parrot's bluetooth
> adapter. I can pair and use my Nokia E66 with the Volkwagen no problem.
> 	I've seen some references to a Parrot bluetooth kit working, but I
> don't yet know which one. The Parrot CK3000 seems like a likely
> contender <http://www.quickconnectproducts.com/Find/VWsteer2.htm>. I've
> seen references in the android market to fixes
> <http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-phk-bluetoothfixrepairdonate-zmFDC.aspx>. It seems to require a rooted handset. I'm not opposed to that. I've seen a reference that an "unlocked" handset works <http://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/topic/7529-samsung-galaxy-s-rsap/page__view__findpost__p__68898>. I've seen a reference that a new bluetooth "module" is available from VW <http://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/topic/7529-samsung-galaxy-s-rsap/page__view__findpost__p__68593>.
> 	Ok so I'm overwhelmed, anyone have any suggestions?

	This seems to have resolved itself???? I cleared all saved bluetooth
profiles from previous pairing attempts. I then initiated pairing from
the car, not the phone. It didn't take immediately, but after several
power cycles on the car it just worked. I'm still stumped. I do know
that now; in the bluetooth settings; under options of the VW Phone
device, Use for phone audio is checked and active. It never was before
and in fact refused to activate. The phonebook downloaded no problem and
I've checked it three times tonight. Each time shutting the car off and
getting the handset out of range. Each time the car found and connected
the handset w/o any problems. All functions appeared to work, calls were
placed and received.
	Was it really that simple to fix? Anyone?
--
Best Regards,

Peter The Plumber