[mdlug] Android Bluetooth Trouble Using In Car Volkwagen Handsfree

Peter Bart petertheplumber at att.net
Sat Dec 25 21:01:16 EST 2010

Hello Everyone,
	I have a Samsung Galaxy S; aka Samsung Captivate SGH-I897; that I'm
trying to get to work with a 2011 Volkswagen Tiguan's mobile phone
package. The handset has firmware v2.1-update1. I can get the phone/car
bluetooth to pair and set each as trusted. The phone basic information
shows up in the drivers instrument cluster and the phone reports paired
as well. But that's where it ends. I can't make or receive calls via the
cars handsfree system. Incoming calls go to the handset. Attempting to
call out with the cars call buttons results in an error message on the
cars display. When I leave the car the phone becomes very sluggish to
operate, sometimes stopping responding at all. When I can see the screen
the bluetooth icon looks like it has white dots on either side of it. If
I can catch it in time, disabling bluetooth brings the phone back into
regular operation. If I don't, the only thing I can do is pop the
battery out.
	I've looked around a little and here's what I know. Volkwagen uses both
the Parrot and Volk-L bluetooth adapter. I do not yet know which I have.
There seems to be a bit of a problem with some Android handsets
connecting to some European made cars
<http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=4402&q=label%
3APriority-Medium&colspec=ID>. The same Samsung handset had full
functionality with an Alpine CDE-103BT that used Parrot's bluetooth
adapter. I can pair and use my Nokia E66 with the Volkwagen no problem.
	I've seen some references to a Parrot bluetooth kit working, but I
don't yet know which one. The Parrot CK3000 seems like a likely
contender <http://www.quickconnectproducts.com/Find/VWsteer2.htm>. I've
seen references in the android market to fixes
<http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-phk-bluetoothfixrepairdonate-zmFDC.aspx>. It seems to require a rooted handset. I'm not opposed to that. I've seen a reference that an "unlocked" handset works <http://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/topic/7529-samsung-galaxy-s-rsap/page__view__findpost__p__68898>. I've seen a reference that a new bluetooth "module" is available from VW <http://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/topic/7529-samsung-galaxy-s-rsap/page__view__findpost__p__68593>.
	Ok so I'm overwhelmed, anyone have any suggestions?

--
Best Regards,

Peter The Plumber