[mdlug] Grub error 17

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 15:33:25 EDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Stan Green <Stan at mcomputersolutions.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> The USB drive was not in the machine when the system was installed, so there is
> no way GRUB could have seen it as a boot drive.
>
> The machine was booting fine until I messed with dbus and hal. This may or may
> not be related to the error 17.

Depending on BIOS settings the drive boot order/number may change if
another bootable drive is added (like a USB drive).  One solution is
to disable USB booting.  If Grub is installed when a USB drive is
connected during boot/POST then boot drive number it set in the MBR
will be wrong if the drive is removed later.

A similar situation involves RAID1 configurations when you want to be
able to boot from the second drive when the first fails.  You have to
install Grub to the second drive configured as if it was the first
otherwise it won't boot when the first is removed.