[mdlug] Apache and Config for files outside of www dir

Wojtak, Greg GregWojtak at quickenloans.com
Tue Aug 10 11:52:29 EDT 2010

Instead of creating a soft link, you could, in your httpd.conf, do

Alias /mystuff/ /media/mydrivename/mystuff/

Then you might need a Directory entry for /mystuff/

<Directory /media/mydrivename/mystuff>
   Options Indexes
   AllowOverride None
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from all
</Directory>

You may need to tweak some of the directives in the <Directory></Directory> block, but that should be a relatively straightforward method of doing what you are trying to do.

Greg