[mdlug] my laptop can't mount my file system (SuSE 11.1) Urgent!!

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Thu Aug 5 17:39:57 EDT 2010

Ching-Yi Hsieh wrote:
> Hello,
> I put LiveCD in CD drive. It loaded Linux kernel directly and entered to
> the
> pre-installation interface. However, I don't want to re-install, but want
> to fix
> my problems. Now it is getting worse. I can't log in the root to do
> anything.
> Please give me some advice. This is urgent. I am willing to pay the labor
> fee to
> any of you to help me this. Thanks a lot.

Hi Ching-Yi,

Have you tried typing "sudo su -" after booting from the LiveCD?
That might get you root access so you can work on the drive.

If that doesn't work, you might want to download the System Rescue
CD.  http://www.sysresccd.org/Download

Once you have a root shell, you'll want to run "fdisk -l" to make
sure the disk partitions appear correctly.  Then run "fsck -y /dev/XXX"
for each of the Linux partitions.

If the fdisk command doesn't show that you have good partitions,
you might want to get an expert to look at it.