[mdlug] USB/IDE adaptor

Drew drew4096 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 12:09:44 EDT 2009

Being that I had occasion to be in the area, plus funding to spare on
it, I took the opportunity to
pick up this:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0285941
in the hope of effectively  having at least a 40 gig flash drive for
less than the cost of an 8 gig one.

These things are supposed to mount/automount as SCSI drives. So I put
it together and plugged
it in. After a couple of minutes it finally automounts, then puts up
the "what do you want to do with
this media" dialog box. So far, so good.

However, it then promptly disappears from the system, and then
reappears - again and again and
again - each time putting up another "what do you want to do with
this media" dialog box, never
staying long enough for me to be able to DO anything with it. And
each time it gets the next
/dev/sdx device name.

This behavior is the same on: Suse 11; PC-OS boot CD; Kanotix
Thorhammer boot CD. It also
disappears and reappears in RIPLinux boot CD, though I somehow
managed to get GPartD to
delete all the partitions and put in a single FAT32, and get a few
files copied onto it.

Do I have a bad product? Should I have gotten one of the other
brands? Or is there a way to get
this to work that I'm missing (turn something off in the OS?) The
package does say I need one of
the Windows operating systems; maybe they really mean it?

I'm going to try a couple more things. But it looks like this thing
is going back soon.

----

- Drew.