[mdlug] Dell Laptop dead??

Michael Rudas audiotech50 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 14:04:58 EDT 2009

--- R. Kannan wrote:

> My son's Dell Laptop Latitude D610 seems to have died.
> Turning on the laptop briefly turns on the fan and turns off
> in 2 seconds. Can this be salvaged?

Probably not.  Modern PCs (including laptops) turn on via the chipset.
 If the processor can't be accessed, 2 seconds into the POST (power-on
self test) is about where the chipset would shut down when it couldn't
hand off to the CPU.  My guess is a bad Pentium M chip, though bad
capacitors might also be at fault.

Another possibility is a bad external power supply or internal
converter board (output voltage[s] too low or too high).  Bad caps can
cause this, too.

Worst-case you could find a used one and swap hard drives.  It's too
bad a PCI POST monitor board won't work in a laptop...

~~ Michael Rudas
   My home page: http://MRudas.2Ya.com
   My Protopage links: http://TinyURL.com/3wt54n