[mdlug] Recovering damaged EXT2

David McMillan skyefire at skyefire.org
Sat Sep 19 11:21:34 EDT 2009

Drew wrote:
> At 08:44 AM 9/17/09, bob dion wrote:
>> David McMillan wrote:
>>
>>>     In the meantime, I tried a ddrescue on the "hit the floor" drive,
>>> and it got to 140GB before hitting an I/O error it can't seem to get past.
>> Try the ' -i ' option with a starting point passed the io error.
>
> Also dd with conv=noerror. dd skip=$sector_number_past_error should
> do the same thing as
> the ddrescue -i option.

	Well, it turns out the I/O error wasn't in the drive, it was apparently
in the host computer -- it seems as if, for whatever reason, this
computer (running Ubuntu 8 and 9) just quits after a certain amount of
time with heavy action on any USB disks.  I switched to another Linux
machine and got well past the point where the first computer kept failing.
	Then it turned out that I didn't have *quite* enough empty space on my
destination drive as I thought, and apparently ddrescue can't pipe to
bzip or gzip.  So I crossed my fingers, tried dd with a gzip pipe to the
desination file... and got a "permissions" error.  Even though I was
using sudo(?!?!?).  Gah.  I'll have to take another stab at it over the
weekend.