[mdlug] Evolution and SBC DSL Provider

Peter Bart peter at petertheplumber.net
Mon Sep 7 12:22:52 EDT 2009

Good Morning,
	I have AT&T as my internet provider and I've been using Evolution as my
main email client for as long as I've been using Linux. Over the last
few days one of my email accounts has been downloading allready deleted
emails and some duplicates. I have over 5000 emails in that mailbox now.
I just changed the receiving options; under the account editor; to not
leave messages on server. I used that up until now, because I access my
email with different devices and I want to have my messages on each
device.
	I found
<http://www.go-evolution.org/FAQ#Why_does_Evolution_download_duplicate_emails.3F_How_can_I_get_rid_of_them.3F_Why_does_Evolution_reload_old_mails_from_server_when_.22Leave_a_message_on_the_pop_server.22_is_activated.3F> with numerous references and allusion to that behavior all over the web. My assumption is; with leave messages on server checked; that the message(s) stay on the server until deleted locally. Is that correct? If not; when I check delete messages after x days and uncheck leave messages on server; will that delete them when deleted locally? Or must I use the two together? Or can someone verify that AT&T email behaves this way and I'm just SOL? Is a possible work around to leave the messages on the server, delete them after say 10 days. That will allow for enough time for me to download them to my handheld.

Best Regards,
--
Peter Bart <peter at petertheplumber.net>
Peter The Plumber