[mdlug] Seek some helps and suggestion (backup my files and systems in Fedora 5)

Garry Stahl tesral at wowway.com
Sat Sep 5 13:46:59 EDT 2009

John Wiersba wrote:
> I use rsnapshot to backup to external USB-attached disk (actually I do this twice, once to each of two separate disks).  The disks are encrypted and used only for backup, so I only mount them when I want to backup:  power on, mount, unlock, rsnapshot, relock, unmount, power off.  All with 5 keystrokes "bkup<ENTER>" (except the power on/off).  Since I have a surge protector and another UPS/surge, I don't bother to remove the USB connector, but for slightly more protection for you backups, you could do that, too.  Also, don't forget some kind of offsite backup.

Here is a suggestion.  Find a backup buddy.  Hard drives are cheap.  You
and your buddy set up a SSH tunnel between your two machines.  He/she
backs up to your computer, you back up to theirs.  Say a once a week
backup to keep the bandwidth down.  I do a daily local backup via a
chron job and rsync.  I have two drives for just that reason.  The
backup buddy gives you an automatic off site backup as well.  Chron, SSH
and rsync.  Done deal you never need know it is happening.

--
Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy? -Mohandas K. Gandhi
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com
Metro Detroit Linux Users Group http://www.mdlug.org