[mdlug] Seek some helps and suggestion

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Sep 3 19:16:41 EDT 2009

On Sep 3, 2009, at 2:21 PM, Ching-Yi Hsieh wrote:

> Hello everyone:
> This is my first time to post question.
> I have Fedora 5 in my desktop. I met several problems.
> I did update from Fedora 4 to Fedora 5 using yum. Now yum doesn't
> work anymore. Perhaps I need to update yum as well. When I run yum,
> it appeared "No module named yum"
>
> current version of Python, which is:
> 2.4.1 (#1, May 16 2005, 15:19:29)
> [GCC 4.0.0 20050512 (Red Hat 4.0.0-5)]
>
> What shall I do for this? Update yum?

It appears that the python you are using is for Fedora Core 4 and not
5.  It's possible that you somehow managed to install the yum package
for a newer python but the python installed on your system is for
Fedora 4, and since it's an older version it doesn't see the newer
'yum' modules.

This is a rather unfortunate sitation to be in.  Since it's such an
old version of fedora (at least 3 years old now?) I would have to
agree with the other people who responded, you'd be better off saving
your user data and reinstalling the latest Fedora from scratch, and
restore your user data afterwards.

If you'd like to use something with similar releases, I'd suggest
switching to CentOS 5, which was based on Fedora Core 6, and is freely
available. http://www.centos.org/