[mdlug] Scanning help

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Wed Nov 25 03:59:44 EST 2009

Greetings,

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009, Garry Stahl wrote:

> Help!  I have 18 very old sheets of paper in the size of 18" x 12" I
> need scanned.  Kinkos wanted over 200 dollars to do what is at most 20
> minutes work.  Most places do not have scanners that can handle the
> paper size.  (Most ofthe flat bed scanners in copy ships are 17" x 11".
>
> I need 300 dpi, PNG preferred JEPG will do.
>
> Does anyone have access to a color scanner than can do the job?

   What is a scanner but a digital photograph.

   Place the sheets on a flat surface, appropriately lighted from multiple
directions (for best contrast and limits reflections from smooth paper
surfaces), and support a digital camara SQUARE to the papers surface (so
there is no trapazoid effect), and shoot!

   I copied hundreds of family photos by placing them on the porch steps
of my Aunts house in broad (non-direct) daylight, and shot them with a
digital camera.  They came out great!  Even zoomed in for closeups of
faces, etc.

      --- Jay Nugent

Train how you will Operate, and you will Operate how you were Trained.
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]                            |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.org] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|