[mdlug] Scanning help

Garry Stahl tesral at wowway.com
Tue Nov 24 15:16:31 EST 2009

Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> Garry Stahl wrote:
>
>> Help!  I have 18 very old sheets of paper in the size of 18" x 12" I
>> need scanned.  Kinkos wanted over 200 dollars to do what is at most 20
>> minutes work.  Most places do not have scanners that can handle the
>> paper size.  (Most ofthe flat bed scanners in copy ships are 17" x 11".
>>

> You're not paying for the labor, you're paying for time on
> the low-production run (and hence, expensive to make) scanner.
>

>> I need 300 dpi, PNG preferred JEPG will do.
>>
>> Does anyone have access to a color scanner than can do the job?
>>

> Can it be done in parts?
> Brother has some all-in-one machines that are VERY well supported
> under Linux(*) and can do in in two parts.  I think they're
> something like 34x17.  The downside it the cost is $300, the
> good side is you can probably turn around and resell it for
> less difference in cost than what Kinko's will charge you.
>

> (*) they provide the drivers needed, plus very good
> instructions on the web that actually work perfectly after I got
> frustrated and actually I bothered to read them)
>
> I've been thinking of buying one as soon as I can scrape
> up the money.

300 dollars for a 34x17 scanner?  That would be worht the price.

 I have an HP Color laserJet printer is not a problem.

--
Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy? -Mohandas K. Gandhi
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com
Metro Detroit Linux Users Group http://www.mdlug.org