[mdlug] Scanning help

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 14:55:51 EST 2009

Garry Stahl wrote:
> Help!  I have 18 very old sheets of paper in the size of 18" x 12" I
> need scanned.  Kinkos wanted over 200 dollars to do what is at most 20
> minutes work.  Most places do not have scanners that can handle the
> paper size.  (Most ofthe flat bed scanners in copy ships are 17" x 11".

You're not paying for the labor, you're paying for time on
the low-production run (and hence, expensive to make) scanner.

> I need 300 dpi, PNG preferred JEPG will do.
>
> Does anyone have access to a color scanner than can do the job?

Can it be done in parts?
Brother has some all-in-one machines that are VERY well supported
under Linux(*) and can do in in two parts.  I think they're
something like 34x17.  The downside it the cost is $300, the
good side is you can probably turn around and resell it for
less difference in cost than what Kinko's will charge you.

(*) they provide the drivers needed, plus very good
instructions on the web that actually work perfectly after I got
frustrated and actually I bothered to read them)

I've been thinking of buying one as soon as I can scrape
up the money.