[mdlug] OT: single resistor source?

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 00:48:58 EST 2009

Joseph C. Bender wrote:
> list1c30fe42 at bellsouth.net wrote:
>> If you can't find a 5M 1/2 watt resistors
>> consider buying a pack of 5 1M 1/8 (or more) watt
>> (Radio Shack 271-1356) and soldering them
>> in series (to make 5M 5/8W resister).
>> Assuming the resister carries no high frequency,
>> you need only worry about making good "hot" solder joints.
>>
> 	Please don't consider such poor advice.  Such hackjobs lead to more
> component failure and BS later down the road, especially if there's any
> sort of high voltage involved.
>
> 	(Secondarily, series resistors need to be at the wattage rating,
> wattage isn't generally additive along with the resistance, they really
> should be 1/2W or better!)
>
> 	I can't tell you how many hackneyed "repair" hackjobs I took apart and
> put back together when I was a bench tech that were along these lines.
> The best one was the power resistor that was re-attached via soldered-in
> staples.
>
> 	As for a local source, there's always Abel Electronics on the east
> side.  http://www.abelelectronics.com/
>
> 	To be honest, I order from Mouser or Digi-key, but I tend to stock up
> on parts for the bench.  Mouser has no minimum order, so ordering a
> couple of 1M resistors is generally pretty easy to do.
>
> 	But, of all things, DO IT RIGHT, and not such ill-advised crap as
> suggested here.

Joseph, you're forgetting selection bias.

OF COURSE you see a lot of previously-repaired components in need
of repair AGAIN...because that component is the weak spot / FAILURE POINT
in the design.

This has nothing to do with the use of a series of resistors to replace
the original, and everything to do with the fact that you're doing a
2nd (or later) repair on a resistive element which REPEATEDLY burns out.