[mdlug] OT: single resistor source?

Joseph C. Bender jcbender at bendorius.com
Wed Nov 18 00:20:43 EST 2009

list1c30fe42 at bellsouth.net wrote:

> If you can't find a 5M 1/2 watt resistors
> consider buying a pack of 5 1M 1/8 (or more) watt
> (Radio Shack 271-1356) and soldering them
> in series (to make 5M 5/8W resister).
> Assuming the resister carries no high frequency,
> you need only worry about making good "hot" solder joints.

	Please don't consider such poor advice.  Such hackjobs lead to more
component failure and BS later down the road, especially if there's any
sort of high voltage involved.

	(Secondarily, series resistors need to be at the wattage rating,
wattage isn't generally additive along with the resistance, they really
should be 1/2W or better!)

	I can't tell you how many hackneyed "repair" hackjobs I took apart and
put back together when I was a bench tech that were along these lines.
The best one was the power resistor that was re-attached via soldered-in
staples.

	As for a local source, there's always Abel Electronics on the east
side.  http://www.abelelectronics.com/

	To be honest, I order from Mouser or Digi-key, but I tend to stock up
on parts for the bench.  Mouser has no minimum order, so ordering a
couple of 1M resistors is generally pretty easy to do.

	But, of all things, DO IT RIGHT, and not such ill-advised crap as
suggested here.

-JCB