[mdlug] Portable hard drives.

Michael Rudas audiotech50 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 20:42:52 EST 2009

--- Garry Stahl wrote:

> I am setting up a new portable hard drive.  1 terabyte
> I want to use a Linux partition instead of the usual Fat-32.  Etx3 for
> argument's sake What settings are required to give the drive the open
> parameters required to move from computer to computer?

Based on my extensive experience with mixed-OS access to external hard
drives, I recommend sticking with NTFS for the larger partitions and
creating an 8-to-15 GB FAT32 partition for quick transfers and
emergency access.  On a 500 GB to 1 TB drive I keep my NTFS partition
size to about 200-250 gig for more-efficient space usage (smaller
sectors) and better data integrity.  If you don't have a Windows
system to format the drive with, I'll bring you a "Bart PE" CD to boot
with.

~~ Michael Rudas
    My home page: http://MRudas.2Ya.com
    My (mostly-Windows) software blog: http://FaveSoft.blogspot.com