[mdlug] Portable hard drives.

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 20:13:22 EST 2009

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 5:59 PM, Garry Stahl <tesral at wowway.com> wrote:
> Jeff Hanson wrote:
>> I think he means getting around the UID/GID issues inherent in moving
>> a drive with a filesystem that has them between different systems that
>> don't have synchronized user accounts.
>>

> Exactly.  Fat and NTFS are pretty much sluts.  They will sync up with
> any old computer.  Linux file systems are more secure and chaste.  They
> want passwords and assuredness that you really love them, preferably a
> nice ring.
>
> So how do you turn xfs or etx3 into system sluts?
>
> As to Fat, I have no windows systems, ask me if I care.

No idea.  I tried ext3 on a flash pen drive but found it inconvenient
to transfer files to other systems.  I had to make sure to allow all
users read/write access on everything.  With other drives I just use
FAT32 and gzip/bzip2 everything I need to transfer (also helps with
the file name character restrictions).  Using a UID/GID of 65534 for
"nobody" doesn't help.  The file manager of the desktop can help by
changing ownership when copying from the device.

I find it really annoying that Ubuntu sets the execute bit on
everything with FAT volumes just so they can use binfmt-support with
Wine:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2009-October/009506.html