[mdlug] Router - now power.

Garry Stahl tesral at wowway.com
Sun Nov 8 11:40:14 EST 2009

Allen Majorovic wrote:
> By the way, you might want to do the arithmetic to determine the area of solar cells necessary to equal the base load electrical generating capacity of the U.S. Not replace that capacity since solar cells can never do that but simply under a best case scenario, equal that capacity. The number I got was 45,000 square miles an area that would cover North and South Carolina.

The number I've heard is about the area of Arizona,  Usually because
said location has lots of sun.

Solar isn't dense enough and has that only useful in daylight problem.
Wind isn't dense enough is is only useful when the wind blows.

Environmental systems if you will, I like the look of river power.
Putting turbines in the water, not the air.  The main advantages being
that water being denser than air carries more recoverable power in its
movement, and rivers flow 24/7, unlike the wind.  It is never going to
produce all the power required, but it could take some of the load off
the fossil fuel grid.

For example, the Detroit River.  Heavy current, high flow and most of
the river is not "in the channel" used by ships.  How much hydro power
could be recovered?

 --

Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy? -Mohandas K. Gandhi
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com
Metro Detroit Linux Users Group http://www.mdlug.org