[mdlug] Router is giving up on routing let alone working

Aaron Kulkis akulkis00 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 03:00:57 EST 2009

Robert Adkins wrote:
> [...]

You could do what they do in the electrical engineering building
at Purdue... the incoming AC drives a 3-phase electric motor,
which drives an AC generator....with a very large flywheel in the mix.

These keeps the high voltage lab (10,000 V) from getting spikes
which would easily go over 1 MV due to the transformer step-ups.

With good bearings, this is quiet enough that I never suspected
such a thing until I actually saw it in the basement.

The only thing needed are some big knife-switches on the
house (load) [side that are kept in place by presence of
current], so that if the power goes out, you can
spin up the flywheel before the generator (and hence the
motor) sees the load from the refrigerator and other
heavy motors.

Might not be cheap initially, but the output is perfectly
sinusoidal, and the equipment lifetime is measured in
decades or longer -- especially if you use brushless
motors and generators (i.e. magnets are in the rotors,
not the housing [stator]).

> actually blows through my neighborhood, I'm considering installing some of
> those micro wind turbines that are made out in the Grand Rapids area.

Good luck on recouping your cost on that.

The European experience with wind generation of electricity
is that material and maintenance costs exceeded the electricity
produced.