[mdlug] Router is giving up on routing let alone working

Peter Bart peter at petertheplumber.net
Tue Nov 3 19:07:36 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 14:06 -0500, Dan Pritts wrote:
> > So, any suggestions of good, quality hardware that's available on the shelf
> > of any local computer shops?
>
> the linksys wrt54g-L is pretty reliable and eminently hackable if
> you're into that sort of thing.
>
> Make sure your replacement is ventilated reasonably well.
>
> an 802.11n router will run hotter, and as a result may fail
> sooner.

	Apparently I've either been very fortunate, or my insistence that
anything electronic be plugged into a voltage regulating device; not
just a surge strip; has paid off. Or some combination of both. I still
have a Linksys WRT54GL running that's so old I can't remember. I also
have a WRT310N that runs very hot uncooled, around 90-100 deg F. It sits
on a notebook cooling pad that brings it down to a more manageable
level. Both use DD-WRT firmware.
--
Peter Bart <peter at petertheplumber.net>
Peter The Plumber