[mdlug] laptop harddrive

Robert Jim Fulner fulner at gmail.com
Thu May 28 13:34:30 EDT 2009

My wife has an HP Laptop (not sure the model off hand) that she bought at
*cough Wal-Mart *cough. Before we were married (2007). As a typical Windoze
user she got really frustrated at it, (wasn't printing) and hit the device
and damaged the hard disk. Well at least that my assumption the unit stopped
dead in its track, wont' boot from the hard disk and when it attempts to do
so it just clicks really loud and repeatedly. I can boot from USB or LIve CD
(with about 20% of the time able to read/write mount her Hard Disk once in
X). So, I guess it gets here threw the day, she kinda likes Puppy. I've
never been able to get the wireless to recognize this way, granted I've
never been good with networking. If someone has a suggestion on getting that
working, I'd be willing to listen ever google search and forum post I read
is no avail. That being said that's not the main reason I'm writing.

As I've never switched components on a laptop before, only a desktop, I was
wondering what I need to be looking for at a functional, though fairly
inexpensive, hard drive for her. Does anybody perhaps have one lying in a
basement they could part with for a reasonable fee? Or at least point me in
the right direction.