[mdlug] How to make minicom read AT commands from a file

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Sun Mar 29 05:18:01 EDT 2009

Greetings,

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009, Jonathan Billings wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 05:52:17PM -0400, R. Kannan wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I cannot find this in the minicom man page. I want minicom to read
> > and send AT commands from a file to a serial port device (phone). I
> > used to know this. Does anyone know how this can be done?
>
> This might not be the way you were doing it, but it should work:
>
> Hit C-a S (send file), choose 'ascii' and then choose the file with
> the AT commands.
>
> There's actually a command for doing this kind of thing automatically,
> called 'chat'.  It might sound familiar to folks who used linux with
> dial-up networking because it was how a lot of people set up PPP and
> SLIP dial-up.  It should be included with a distro's PPP packages.

   And inside CHAT, the thing that does the exchange of sending AT
commands and reading back the result codes ("OK") was a program called
EXPECT.

      --- Jay

Train how you will Operate, and you will Operate how you were Trained.
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]                            |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.org] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
| Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|