[mdlug] Printing a lousy #$%^&* envelope.

Michael Corral micorral at comcast.net
Wed Mar 25 01:19:33 EDT 2009

2009-03-24, Monsieur Jim Broughton a ecrit:
> My printing system consists of a Brother 5150D postscript laser
> printer accessed over the network via a netgear printserver.
> The printer has 1 tray for 8.5x11-14 paper and a fold out manual feed tray
> for envelopes and the like. It never fails to print 8.5x11 documents some
> even quite complex and duplexed as well.
[snip]
> This sucks. It should be a no brainer. Anyone else have problems with
> printing envelopes under Linux?

No problem here. I can print envelopes just fine in Fedora.
Here's a pic of how I printed a standard (C10) business envelope just
now, in StarOffice:
http://home.comcast.net/~micorral/envelope.png

In the Properties dialog, in the Device tab I set Manual Feed to True.
I started the whole thing by going to
File->New->Templates and Documents->Templates->Personal Correspondence
and Documents->Envelope.
For OpenOffice there should be something similar.

For my printer (HP Laserjet 4plus, via JetDirect), I have to push a bit
on the edge of the envelope to make sure the manual feeder grabs it. It
prints perfectly.

Michael