[mdlug] Printing a lousy #$%^&* envelope.

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Wed Mar 25 04:48:49 EDT 2009

Jeff Hanson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 9:55 PM, Jim Broughton <jbroughton at twmi.rr.com> wrote:
>> I have been a linux user for about 10 years. I have never tried
>> to print an envelope under Slackware Linux using KDE and Cups.
>> I may never try again. Total failure. I am quite angry.
>
> Haven't tried it myself.  I have used gLables to print self-adhesive
> address labels using a CSV export from a Calc spreadsheet as input.

I haven't tried either, but I think I would have tried printing it as a
simple word processor document, or more likely a spreadsheet. If I
understood you correctly you are trying to print *a* (single) envelope?
Also you are having no trouble using the fold out paper tray, perse?

It seems like, if you didn't mind sacrificing a few sheets of plain
paper, you could have gotten the text you wanted placed where you wanted
it, relative to the leading edge of the page, and then just run an
envelope instead of plain paper.

Failing that I think I would have printed the address on plain paper and
then cut it (with scissors) and pasted it (with paste) on the envelope.
Scotch tape and clear packing tape also do well for holding such
improvised labels in place.

This is still more work than it should be, but I think you would have
had your envelope in the end. But I feel your pain.

Ray