[mdlug] [Solution] OpenOffice-3.0.1 no dictionary [Was: Re: [Tech Support] OpenOffice-3.0.1 no dictionary]

Robert Meier list1c30fe42 at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 10 14:31:00 EDT 2009

Michael,

Thank you for your help.

[For the record]

Problem:
> I just upgraded at work to openOffice-3.0.1 .
> It seems to come up faster,
> but I find that every word is reported as "not in dictorary".

Cause:
<UNCERTAIN>
An unidentified component of personal or system state,
not reflected in the menus nor owned by any openoffice or ooo rpm,
is unhandled during the upgrade to openOffice-3.0.1 .
</UNCERTAIN>

Workaround:
1. Remove all prior versions of openOffice.
   bash# rpm -e $(rpm -qa | grep ooo) $(rpm -qa | grep openoffice)
2. (Re)move all links to prior versions openOffice
   bash# find / -type l -print | while read l; do
           if ls -l "$l" grep /opt/openoffice; then
             rm "$l"
           fi
         done
3. (Re)move all openoffice directories
   bash# rm -rf /opt/openoffice*
4. (Re)move all personal openoffice configurations.
   bash> rm -rf ~/.openoffice*
5. Reinstall openoffice-3.0.1
   bash# mkdir -p /opt/openoffice/original
   bash# # Download openoffice-3.0.1*.tar.gz into /opt/openoffice/original
   bash# cd /opt/openoffice
   bash# tar -zxvf original/openoffice-3.0.1*.tar.gz
   bash# ./setup

Symptoms:
> I set the correct default language for documents:
> Tools -> Options -> Language Settings -> Languages
> Under the "Default Languages for documents", for the "Western" language I
> selected English (USA).  That language was the only option that had a little
> 'ABC' icon next to the selection to signify a valid installed dictionary.

No effect.

> No errors were reported during installation.
> I first installed from rpm -i.
> Noting the errant spellchecking, I then used rpm -e to remove the files
> and tried again using .../setup.  (Same experience both times).
>
> My dictionary selections
> [Tools/options/Languages/Writing Aids/Available/Edit/...]
> are English(US).
>
> I have verified that
> /opt/openoffice.org3/share/xtension/install/dict-en.oxt
> is installed, looks correct (i.e. unzip -t reports an
> apparently appropriate jar file), and is readable.
>
> strace during startup indicates that no -dict- file is being openned.
>
> openOffice-2.3(?) had a working dictionary and was removed with -e
> before initial installation.

Reporting,
--
Bob

  "'Men have forgotten this truth,' said the fox.
   'But you must not forget it.
   You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.'"
     -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery