[mdlug] [Tech Support] OpenOffice-3.0.1 no dictionary

Robert Meier list1c30fe42 at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 9 23:13:00 EDT 2009

POEMs,

I just upgraded at work to openOffice-3.0.1 .
It seems to come up faster,
but I find that every word is reported as "not in dictorary".

No errors were reported during installation.
I first installed from rpm -i.
Noting the errant spellchecking, I then used rpm -e to remove the files
and tried again using .../setup.  (Same experience both times).

My dictionary selections
[Tools/options/Languages/Writing Aids/Available/Edit/...]
are English(US).

I have verified that
/opt/openoffice.org3/share/xtension/install/dict-en.oxt
is installed, looks correct (i.e. unzip -t reports an
apparently appropriate jar file), and is readable.

strace during startup indicates that no -dict- file is being openned.

openOffice-2.3(?) had a working dictionary and was removed with -e
before initial installation.

Anybody seen this before?
Anybody know the cause?
Anybody know the cure?
What am I missing?

TIA,
--
Bob

  "I used to think correlation implied causation.
   Then I took a class on statistics.  Now I don't.
   (Sounds like the class helped.)  Well, maybe."
    -- xkcd (http://www.xkcd.com/552/)